Saturday 28 April 2012

Strange week


Having a bit of a weird week. Next week I have all my assessments due which is going to be interesting. There isn't that much to finish but it's just sitting down and starting that is the hardest. Once I open the document and start to type I can get it done so quick, but usually it takes me days to do that!

But anyway, I think the reason it has been so "weird" is that transition period. I have a job offer and just waiting for the paperwork and start date. I'm just so over my "same old, same old" life that I just want to GET ON WITH IT. I've been living with my Mum since high school while I was studying and at 24 have been at "school" for a very long time. I left high school over 7 years ago so I am so ready to start.

The strange thing is I am finishing my units because of the timing. Firstly I have group work so would feel totally guilty for dropping and running a week before assessment week. Secondly, it's like I've come so far I would like to "pass" the units and just "finish" it even though there is no point to doing so. I mean, because I'm leaving partway through the course I can't get a certificate or course. In fact I will have nothing to show for the last 2 months at all because it's something I'm not intending to go back to... so I'm asking myself.. why bother? Why get your ass kicked with this work if it means nothing.. maybe that's selfish. The "what's in it for me" mentality. I have the relationships I've made and the things I have learned over the past 2 months.

Another thing with this transition period is I'm scared the rug will be pulled from underneath and someone will yell "tricked ya!". I mean the team leader rang me and said he was offering me a position and he would get HR to send an offer of employment official letter soon, then there would be a call to arrange my start date and training and all those bits and pieces but it keeps going through my mind that we aren't past the "no turning back" stage yet. They still have an "out" and while it is totally unlikely anything could happen I'm still thinking about it. What if..

So I WANT to start the ball rolling with things I need to organise.. buying stuff for living by myself, making sure my car is absolutely ready for "regional life" and supplies (I bought spare fuses and a tool to change them in today), trying to get my phone contract cancelled (I anticipate I'm going to have to fight for my life with that one - bloody Telco companies), and then other bits and pieces I'm "unsure" of.. what the job's going to be like, what kind of overtime I would be expected to pull, if I can escape to the city on weekends without being "on call" for problems that might arise during the weekend, if the rental place they assign me will be nice (I want to bring pets, have a decent Internet connection, and have decent heating/cooling). And I want to be able to find out those "little known facts" on the place. You know, the stuff that isn't in guidebooks or on "touristy" websites.

Anyway I've been raving on for a while so I guess I should calm down and just go to sleep. :) Hopefully it will all turn out okay. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment